Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rugby commentor legend, Bill McLaren, dies aged 86

I heard the news of Scottish Commentator Bill McLaren passing a few hours ago, so a bit late to the game but still wanted to share a few words on my fondest memories of him. My earliest memories of him where from watching the 5 nations in the late 80s and 90s. His commentary was always fair and not only conveyed how much he knew the game and teams that played, but his passion for the sport.
He had some of the most fantastic quotes in his time, too many too mention, but I'd like to share two of my favorites
"My goodness, that wee ball’s gone so high there’ll be snow on it when it comes down"
and
"I’m no hod carrier but I’d be laying bricks if he was running at me (description of Jonah Lomu)"
He will be missed.
If you never had the pleasure of hearing him, check out the BBC Tribute video at

Popular Posts