Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking forward

With the new year almost upon us, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, all the readers and listeners, for all your support.  I've made a lot of great rugby friends this year and I'm excited to share more posts and podcasts in what I feel is going to be a fantastic rugby year ahead.

On the domestic front, I'm looking forward to seeing how the local teams do again. The US Super League kicks off soon and NYAC will be back in action to defend their title.  In the Women's Premiers league, New York Rugby Club will be looking to pull off a hat-trick championship win.  On the personal side,  my current home team, the Village Lions, are heading to the Div 2 Nationals after a superb season this year.  And my old teammates and friends in the Washington Renegades hope to make history by qualifying for their first ever Div 3 Nationals.



As for youth rugby, 2011 looks to be a stellar year.  Play Rugby USA have an exciting agenda ahead. Their Mayors Cup (in its 4th year) in NYC will definitely see more kids from the city and beyond compete, and I'll be at the event again showing my support.

On the international scene: at home, Las Vegas will be putting on the ritz again as the IRB Sevens series rolls into town while the Eagles will be hoping to build on their great Bowl win this year.  Away, all eyes will be watching the Six Nations and Tri Nations in anticipation of the main event, the Rugby World Cup.  Can New Zealand, in front of a home crowd, reclaim the cup?  Could England pull off the shocker to claim a "Down-under Double"?  And who isn't excited to see the USA Eagles face Russia?!

Stateside rugby fans are also in for a real treat as TV rugby coverage picks up.  NBC-Universal's coverage of the IRB Sevens and the Rugby World Cup will really give our beloved sport the coverage it deserves.  BBC America did a great job with its Six Nations broadcasts, even if we would have much preferred to see all the games.  Here's hoping to see more of that again in February.  I'll post more nearer the time with details on where to catch the games.

And now over to you!  I always love to get feedback (good, bad and ugly) on what I'm sharing and if you have suggestions or ideas on things you'd like to see me cover, interview, do, etc., etc, let me know.  Feel free to post comments below, email me, tweet me, or message me on facebook.    And if you're ever in the neighborhood and fancy meeting for a drink and a chat, drop me a line :) Cheers!

Popular Posts