Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Interview with Maser Madueño, President of the Peruvian Rugby Federation

Special Report by Leandro Conde for A Rugby Life

Peru has great potential to be the next big rugby nation in South American with its solid economy and infrastructure, plus the support of the Olympic Committee.  I talk to Mr. Maser Madueño, President of Peruvian Rugby Federation, to learn more.
Maser Madueño, President of 
the Peruvian Rugby Federation
ARL: When did you first discover rugby?
MM: I began playin
g
 rugby when I 
was
 16 years old at the Newton College. In th
ose
 days, we took part in the Lima Cricket Club To
u
rnaments, playing against French and English teachers. As well as playing club level, I also played for over 10 years for Peru National Team where I 
 met
 nice friends, and understood that 
to be
 
a Rugby Player is being part of a nation that shares the same values. 

ARL: What was your motivation to lead the Peruvian Rugby?
MM: W
hen I was 39, I bec
a
me Coach of the National Sevens Team, which I did for 3 years.  I had a background in Economics and combined with my work in management, I was able to create a successful, 
high performance program
. I also had a very good relationship with the clubs and my work for the development of Rugby motivated me to lead the Peruvian Rugby Federation. 
  

ARL: What are you doing in particular for Rugby in Peru?
MM: Presently
, the
 Peruvian Rugby Federation is working to increase 
its
 base through the different devel
o
pment programs around the country. We have recruit
ed
 a Sports Management CEO with expertise in Spain a
nd
 together with our Devel
o
pment and High performance team, plus our Head Coach and 
 Tournament Director, we looking to make rugby 
the
 Peruvian sport
 that grows the most

ARL: Talking about Panamerican Rugby, what are the challenges with integration of CONSUR-NACRA? 
MM: I think that CONSUR and NACRA must work together.
  
There are 15 National Union in NACRA and 8 at CONSUR.  Also more National teams such as Panamá, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Mexico are also engag
ed
 and looking to play.  
A consequence of this gro
w
th is that 
we
 have to consider all the levels of game for these N
a
tional Teams and not just the Conferences.   
 

ARL: What is your message to people about your Rugby life?
MM:  Rugby brought me 
to 
competitive matches with rivals that became friends; to tours, to joys and to sorrows. However, rugby is
 about
 
its
 lifestyle to change people and now I working to share the passion 
that r
ugby brought to me
 Rugby never end
s!

Popular Posts