Saturday, September 10, 2011

A tribute to a fallen teammate

Yesterday I learned of the sad news of the passing of my former teammate and friend Oscar Hernandez.  Oscar played hooker for the Washington Renegades in DC and his untimely death has resonated not only throughout his club, but also fellow players in the PRU and IGRAB unions.
Washington Renegades Bs with Alice Hoagland
at the 2006 Bingham Cup.  Oscar is left of Alice.


I had the pleasure of both coaching and playing with Oscar.  At the 2006 Bingham Cup in New York City, I led one of two teams the Renegades had in the tournament.  The B's were in the Plate side competition and faced some tough opposition from around the globe.  Oscar was a key component of our success in finishing 3rd overall.  On the eve of 9/11, as I look back on the tournament, I find myself thinking about happy times rather than two separate tragic events.

Today, in honor of him, the Renegades dedicated their 1st matrix match of the season against Rappahannock.  They won the game with an impressive score of 62-0, and posthumously named Oscar man of the match.  It was a fitting tribute to a man who will be missed by all.

If you wish to leave a eulogy, feel free to comment below or post on his Facebook page.

Popular Posts